Is Nirvana GTD app going to close?

Jeff Osborne

Registered
It seems the best GTD minds are on this thread so, off topic to this threads title and probably a stupid question, bearing in mind that I'm online just about everywhere I take my windows PC, is there any advantage of the Nirvana app over the browser. Do they have identical functionality?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
It seems the best GTD minds are on this thread so, off topic to this threads title and probably a stupid question, bearing in mind that I'm online just about everywhere I take my windows PC, is there any advantage of the Nirvana app over the browser. Do they have identical functionality?
They are nearly identical in my experience. I find that to be the case more and more with apps. No longer are web versions a weird afterthought.

bcmyers2112

Registered
They are nearly identical in my experience. I find that to be the case more and more with apps. No longer are web versions a weird afterthought.
I have just about completed my migration from Nirvana to Todoist, but one thing I'll say in favor of Nirvana is that it's nice that the web and PC versions have just about achieved feature parity. Makes it easy to switch between the two.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Looking back, I see that this thread was started in May 2019, and I replied that as far as I knew, Nirvana was ongoing. A month later I met Elbert (Nirvana's main developer) and his wife at the GTD Summit, where they had a booth.

stormzen

Registered
Hello Everyone.

I'm cycling back into GTD after giving up on it for a few years, after an unfortunate experience with OmniFocus.

I actually found Chaos Control to be more accessible than Nirvana, I think because it made help really accessible for novice GTD users like myself. But it's a Russian based company, and I'm concerned about privacy, as I would be for any company in a country that may not value privacy at the national level. I don't see Chaos Control mentioned much in this forum. It appears to have much of the same features that Nirvana has, except it has no references, but it also allows nesting of projects. So I got the general idea of how that featureset for the app was supposed to work for GTD, and went to apply it Nirvana.

Is the Nirvana web client gone? The first thing I tried to do was log into the web client, only to find that I couldn't find it.

It looks like Nirvana implemented an email-to-inbox feature while I was away. I had trouble figuring out how to set this up. Couldn't find documentation anywhere. There was a blurb on one of their blog posts, but the part disclosing the instructions for finding the email address was missing. For anyone that finds themselves in this situation after me, I noticed that "Manage Account" was underlined when looking at Settings. Clicking on it brought me to this page: https://account.nirvanahq.com/dashboard, where I was able to find my email address. ... and even set an email reminder of my daily focus list.

I got it set up with Braintoss and it worked pretty well, once I figured out how to change the server side settings: https://braintoss.freshdesk.com/sup...9588-how-do-i-change-the-format-of-the-email- .

I find it a little confusing that nothing is nested in Nirvana. Every project is jumbled together with all other projects, and the same for references. I'm sure that this is my beginner GTD-ness showing, and I can see the attraction of not getting bogged down into figuring out nesting folders, but my brain really doesn't like everything jumbled together like that.

Also, is it true that not every option is available in the android version, as it is in the desktop version? I tried to use the web app to verify this, but couldn't find the web app ...

bcmyers2112

Registered
I am using Nirvana. I have the Windows client open right now. They are most definitely still in business. I haven't heard anything suggesting the product is going away. Quite the opposite. They recently added a developer to their staff.

I'm not sure why you couldn't find the web client. I just checked a minute ago and it's up and running. What URL are you using?

Here is where you can find help articles: https://help.nirvanahq.com/. I used the search to find instructions for emailing to Nirvana, and found this: https://help.nirvanahq.com/category.../add-your-items/#create-inbox-items-via-email.

stormzen

Registered
It turns out that you can only access the web client through the desktop, not a mobile device. I don’t really use a desktop, and only wanted to see the web client briefly, so I suppose I hit an edge case that isn’t supported by nirvana when I tried to view the web client in a browser on a mobile device. I tried switching to desktop mode, but apparently that is blocked as well. Guessing that I’ll have to spoof my device in order to see the web client from a mobile device.

bobusa

Registered
Depending on your mobile device NirvanaHQ has an excellent mobile app. It has (as far as I'm aware) most functionality that the desktop app has. What functionality are you specifically looking for in the mobile app?

bcmyers2112

Registered
It turns out that you can only access the web client through the desktop, not a mobile device. I don’t really use a desktop, and only wanted to see the web client briefly, so I suppose I hit an edge case that isn’t supported by nirvana when I tried to view the web client in a browser on a mobile device. I tried switching to desktop mode, but apparently that is blocked as well. Guessing that I’ll have to spoof my device in order to see the web client from a mobile device.
You mentioned wanting to see the web client "briefly." Are you using the mobile app? If so, do you mind if I ask why you wanted to see the web client at all?

If you're not using the mobile app, do you mind if I ask why that is?